Thursday 29 December 2011

Skyrim: The game I had been waiting for...

  I had been waiting for this game to come out ever since I watched the announcement for it at the VGA awards last year. Skyrim has been an object of my obsession for many months and now I have gotten to play it, I can honestly say it is WELL WORTH IT!
   In my opinion, Bethesda, reigns over the fantasy RPG genre with its attention to detail and having endless possibilities at your disposal, which makes it not only re-playable but you feel as if you never play the same game twice. The epic proportions of the map gave me the ability to immerse myself in every aspect of the journey through wilderness and towns alike. I was also happy about the new updates on the NPC's faces and catch phrases which looked as well as sounded much more natural than in Oblivion (one of my pet peeves of the elder scrolls iv). 
  The most epic part of the game has to be the dragons and the shouts. The developers spent numerous hours making the dragons move and act exactly how we would expect them to through research with bats, birds and reptiles. I doubt if any other game developing studio has made dragons in this way and it shows...again with the attention to details. The shouts also have their own fantastical quality that feels like a combination between Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and Dragon Ball Z. Every time I used a shout, I felt like a bad ass and that is exactly what you want to feel in a game of this magnitude. I also got up to a little bit of mischief with using it to FUS RO DA my companion or an unsuspecting villager off a cliff or bridge. These shouts prove to be hours of fun whether you are fighting with it or getting into trouble!
 
  No matter how much I may love this game though, I still have a few minor details to contend with. I find that because of its expansive nature, the game play takes weeks to complete. This is always the downside of a game like this and even if it cannot be helped, it makes me loose some interest in playing it. (I do have a life outside of gaming, you know...). The other thing that gets me is the aiming for the bow and arrows. If you choose this long range weapon, make sure you understand where the cross-hairs should be pointing in order to get a good shot. I found that I needed to position the cross-hairs at the opponents chest in order to get a head shot...which is silly if you ask me. I should be able to aim at the head and get a head shot right away, not miss by 2 feet and it going over my opponents head! I also had many clipping issues where I would get stuck in rocks or in walls if I wasn't careful as well as many glitches. Of course, that should be no problem to fix with a patch or two. Other than that, I have to say that this still takes the cake for best fantasy RPG of the year. GREAT WORK BETHESDA!

I rate The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  - 9.5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment